Saturday, October 3, 2009

Why I like to run

I like to run. Running to me is different than jogging. Jogging is exercise whereas running is a way of life. Having run for nearly 30 years with many different types of runners, I know some of you will understand me. For those who feel running is just something we do because it is good for you, then you are talking about jogging to me, not running. I think I would run even if they said it wasn't good for me. Running is more than health, although health is a very large part of it.

I think running connects us with our sense of self, with each other, with nature and the world around us. We are physical beings and spiritual beings. When we run, we connect ourselves to our bodies and our surrounding, our minds are focused and relaxed. The steady metronome of our pace allows our consciousness to enter a state of meditative awareness. We become aware of our breathing, our hands as they swing back and forth, the muscles in our legs, the incline or decline of the road ahead of us. Anxiety over our lives dissipates as we allow the physical nature of a run to burn off anxious energy; as a car burns fuel to go. The anxious energy is replaced with new confidence and peace that whatever we face, we can face with focus and calm energy.

This is running to me. Running is way to tune into our physical and mental energy in a positive, relaxed and contemplative state. Running is never boring. Even when I go out and run for hours and hours at a time, my mind is free to ponder issues without anxiety. Without running, I get caught up with these thoughts and can't separate the issues from my fears and concerns for them. While running I can. I can see the issues for what they are. I can accept them without fear or anxiety. The confidence I gained by completing a long run spills out over these issue and are wrapped in the same confidence shared with running. This feeling continues with all tasks I face for the day.

Running is way of life. It is not the only way. For those that find running hard, then walk, do yoga or go cycling. I think the same can be said for these activities. Although running is different for me. It is simple and primitive. It is the most sure way I know to be me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said!

    I enjoy running too. But it has been a while since the last time I did it, I must confess. Besides, I listen to music while I run. Does that make me a jogger? :)

    I completely agree with the meditative state of mind that one can achieve while running. I think the aerobic pace kept while running is crucial in creating the condition for that meditative state. Wouldn't you agree with this?

    This summer I have been biking with a group two times a week, 2hrs every time. This is something that I also love. But I think running is much more relaxed and you also have more freedom to choose the pace. When riding with a group, you depend on the team and have to be more vigilant to the environment than when running. Obviously, the speed is higher and that increases the demand for attention. The nice thing about it is that you can cover more distance and see more :) Your mind is a little busier, but you also have a strong perception of your body and you feel invigorated.

    Regarding the toughness of running, I have had pain in the knees a few times while running, but this has also happened while biking... I think maybe the key is to feel and understand your body response to your movements and increase goals progressively... When I was younger I never paid too much attention to "training", so I guess I understood this the hard way. :)

    Thank you for your words, Mark! They are quite inspirational!

    ReplyDelete