Saturday, October 17, 2009

Don't take bad running days to heart

I can't always predict if I'm going to have a bad day running or good. Today was a bad day. I don't think it says anything about my training other than it's probably time to back off a bit until I can attack the distance again with more confidence.

Two weeks ago, I ran 19 miles and had enough strength left over to punch the last 3 miles; faster than race pace. (oh yeah!) This week after some resting up I ran 22 miles. I was not nearly as strong as I thought I should have been. I will be happy with this accomplishment, since I was able to complete the distance eventhough I was not mentally or physically up to the task. I did it anyway and I can now back off with confidence.
Confidence that after some rest, I'll be able to look at my 26.2 mile marathon goal with better appreciation and mental preparation than when I set out to run 22 miles. It's all part of the training, I guess. Bad days prepare you mentally for your next run more than good days. We should accept the bad days as part of the training we do. Without them we can't find the will to do better the next time.

Looking back at why I was so strong at 19 miles it was, I think, due to failing to complete the distance as planned the week before. All week I was picturing in my mind how I wanted to recover and do better next time. I think now that I had another bad day, I will be ready next time. There's no guarentee this will be the case, but I'd rather approach my next run with more humility and mental preparation than I did this time.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone





No comments:

Post a Comment