Thursday, October 8, 2009

When running 12 miles is easy?

There are a lot of motivational factors about marathon training; being in shape, getting faster 10k times, enjoying the outdoors, and feeling confident about yourself. The one thing I think about is how far I've come from base training and how I'm able to run distances that I could not have reached before, but now can attain when I set my mind to it.

Most marathon training programs begin with a base mileage week. The running base usually consists of two or three moderate distance runs (6-8 miles) a tempo run and a 12 mile weekend run. When starting out 12 miles seems so long compared to a 10k run, I usually run. But after building up to distances closer to the marathon, the few weeks we have to recover usually involves resorting back to our base mileage; i.e the 12 mile run.

Running 12 miles seems so much easier now. After several months of building up 14, 16, 18 or more miles at a time, backing off and running 12 miles seems like, well?, a walk in the park? Maybe not that easy, but it's a great thought and one that keeps me motivated. If 12 miles can become much easier, then perhaps I will be able to reach my goal pace and complete the marathon.

I hope your training is going well. Please let me know what keeps you motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment